Bangladeshi nationals living in Thailand or Cambodia may apply to this Embassy for renewal/re-issue of their machine readable passport (MRP). A new passport book (MRP) containing 48 pages will be issued which shall remain valid for 5 (five) years.
In the following cases renewal/re-issue application may be considered:
- Passport Expiry: Renewal/re-issue application may be made 8 months before the expiry of the existing passport.
- Data Correction: Renewal/re-issue application may be made for correction of information in the passport like spelling of name/father’s name/mother’s name/spouse name/emergency contact etc. The application for data correction should be accompanied by supporting documents. Please read the relevant circular of the Ministry of Home dated 28 April 2021.
- Insufficient page: If all the visa pages of the existing passport are already used, re-issue application may be made.
- Lost/destroyed Passport: In case of losing the existing passport. Please see details in ther relevant section of this website.
Requirement for Renewal/Re-issue application
To renew/re-issue passport, primarily an applicant must possess either of the following two documents:
- Bangladesh National ID (NID) card;
- Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit Birth Registration Number (BRN).
The Embassy reserves the right to request for any additional documents at any stage of MRP service delivery process.
However, if the applicants are not in possession of Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit birth registration number, they may arrange to get it from their respective City Corporations/ Municipalities/ Union Parishads in Bangladesh. For the children born in Thailand/Cambodia online application for birth registration can be made to this Embassy. For details please visit relevant section of this website.
Procedure for Obtaining MRP
To apply for renewal/re-issue of MRP, an applicant needs to follow the steps stated below:
Step-1: Collect and duly fill in MRP Renwal/Reissue Form
Note: If any data/information correction is necessary in the passport, please mention that in the form. Please read the relevant circular in this regard carefully.
Step-2: Pay the applicable fee by bank transfer to the Embassy Account. Embassy Bank account details are available here. Payment of the fee is also possible by debit/credit card at the Embassy counter or depositing cash at the bank physically.
Step-3: Submission of MRP application form and relevand documents to the Embassy
Please seek an appointment (by calling the Embassy or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) for submission of passport application to the Embassy.
The applicant shall come to the Embassy in person according to the appointment along with the existing original passport for submission of MRP application/re-issue form, taking photograph and for providing biometric data.
The applicant must submit the following documents to get MRP:
– Duly filled-in Passport Renewal/re-issue Form;
– A photocopy of his/her National ID card or Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit Birth Registration Number (BRN) containing 17-digit;
– Copies of information pages of applicant’s existing Bangladesh Passport (valid or expired);
– Proof of payment of applicable fees;
A passport-size photo (55mmx45mm) of the applicant must be affixed with the MRP application/re-issue form. If the applicant is a child under the age of 15, parents’ photos are required to be appended on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parent’s photos would be accepted.
Certification/Attestation at page-4 of the MRP application form (for the first time applicants): Embassy will certify/attest.
Step-4: Biometric Enrolment Process
Applicant’s finger prints, signature in electronic pad and photograph will be captured at the bio-enrolment room of the Embassy. Once completed, existing Bangladesh Passport of the applicant will be returned along with the delivery slip where the tentative date of delivery will be mentioned.
After the bio-enrolment, all data and scanned application form along with other documents will be sent electronically to the Department of Immigration & Passport in Dhaka where, after due process, MRP will be issued. It will then be sent to the Embassy for delivery to the applicant.
Step-5: Delivery of passport
After completion of the enrolment process, the applicant will be given a tentative date of delivery of MRP. Average processing time at the Department of Immigration & Passport in Dhaka for express delivery and regular delivery of passports is 15 days and 30 days respectively.
Embassy will contact the applicant once his/her passport is ready for delivery. In case of not receiving any call from Embassy, applicants may contact the Embassy by email (email@example.com)/telephone on or after tentative delivery date. Upon confirmation from the Embassy, the applicant shall need to come to the Embassy in person along with his or her old Bangladesh Passport and delivery slip. New MRP will be handed over along with the old passport (with observation or cancellation seal) after taking signature on the acknowledgement of receipt.
Note: Along with the MRP, the Embassy will issue a letter addressed to the immigration authority of Thailand/Cambodia recommending transfer of the visa/stay permit to the new passport.
If the applicant is unable to come personally to receive the MRP, he/she may send a representative with signed authorization.
Processing Time & Fees*
|Delivery type||Processing fee (Baht)||Processing time|
MRP for students
Following rates will be applicable for Bangladeshi students studying in Thailand/Cambodia:
|Delivery type||Processing fee (Baht)**||Processing time|
* Mission receives fees in equivalent Thai Baht only. 2.3% additional charge is applicable, if paid by debit/credit card.
** Students are entitled to get MRP at a concession rate. To avail this opportunity, students must present a valid student’s ID and submit a copy of it along with the application form and other documents. In case a student does not have a valid student ID, a letter (with reference number) from his/her institution can also be accepted. It is mandatory to provide Student ID number for concessional rate else a student applicant will have to pay regular fees.